This article will help you set up Custom Validations for a question
Custom Validations allow you to use logic and custom error messages to aid the respondent in making sure their answers are accurate based on your criteria.
Setting up a Custom Error Message
In order to setup a custom validation, you must first create the error message text. Follow the steps below to do do:
- Click on 'SURVEY SETTINGS' from the question tree on the left
- Then click 'DEFAULT TEXT'
- The 'DEFAULT TEXT' card will then open in the main screen. Scroll all the way to the bottom of this card so you can see the 'CUSTOM ERRORS' page
- You will need to enter the following:
- TAG - This will be an easy short code for you to reference. You will need this to implement the logic later. Lets say its a message for Q3, then just call it Q3.
- VALUE - This will be your actual error message text
- You are done. If you have other questions you know you will need this sort of setup for, repeat steps 1-4 above.
Adding your Custom Validation to a Question
If you have not already, please review the following article:
Follow the steps below to add a Custom Validation to a specific question:
- Click on the question you want to add the Custom Validation to on the left side in the question tree
- Click on the gear icon on the top right of the question card to open the question settings
- Click on 'Edit Custom Validations' button on the Question Settings
- Click on the '+ Custom Validation' button to add your validation
- Select the error message you created from the 'Message' drop-down
- Add your logic statement/formula as needed in the 'Condition' field.
- See the following article with help with your logic/formula syntax: Logic Syntax
- Click on 'CREATE' when you are done